Monday, November 1, 2010

From a Dog's Point of View

10 Commandments for Dogs
From a Dog's Point of View



1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that BEFORE you get me.
2. Give me time to understand what you want from me.
3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial to my well-being.
4. Don't be angry with me for long, & don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, entertainment & friends. I have only YOU.
5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice. 
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget.
7. Please don't hit me. I can't hit back, but I can bite & scratch and I really don't want to do that.
8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right foods or I've been out in the sun too long or my heart is getting old and weak. 
9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old.
10. Go with me on difficult journeys. NEVER say, "I can't bear to watch, or let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if YOU are there. Remember, I LOVE YOU!!

3 comments:

Veterinary Student said...

Very good post! So many people say they treat their pets like humans but they get demoted back down to animal status as soon as something goes wrong.

I'm a big fan of talking to my cats (in that totally normal way...not the crazy cat lady way ;) ) and there are times that I am sure they DO understand. Either way, it sure makes me feel better!

Elizabeth said...

I am a big fan of talking to my dogs and and cats as well. They may not understand everything I say but I know they understand some of it and they know my tones and they seem to know when "I" need comfort..

Gail Walker said...

The day she met them, my friend sounded surprised when she said, "you talk to your dogs like they are people!". Now what do you think she meant by that? Doesn't everyone?

And, yesterday when I took the girls to the local ice cream shop, they licked when I said "lick", and to my surprise, they bit when I said "bite" (on the cone). I do not know how they knew, but they ate their doggy cones perfectly.